Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Words to Wed By

I spent months working on our wedding ceremony - an hour here, an hour there. But, it wasn't nearly complete and didn't feel like a representation of both of us until we completed it together one day. That happened to be the day we were meeting with our officiant to finalize our ceremony, so we efficiently wrote the ceremony while driving to her house!

Well, we think it turned out perfectly. So, just in case you were curious what was said in the end, here it is!

Family and friends, on behalf of Adam and Jennie, I thank you for being here today. You have been invited to share an occasion of great joy and celebration.
Adam and Jennie know that marriage is not a relationship to be entered into lightly, but deliberately, lovingly, and reverently. Today they are declaring to each other and to all of us hat they plan to be by each other's side, no matter what life brings their way.
Adam and Jennie have asked that I share a reading by Robert Fulghum, entitled 'Union'.
You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes, to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making commitments in an informal way. All of those conversations that began with, "When we're married", and continued with "I will" and "you will" and "we will" - all those late night talks that included "someday" and "somehow" and "maybe" - and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.
The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, "You know all those things that we've promised, and hoped, and dreamed - well, I meant it all, every word."
Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another - acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, even teacher, for you have learned much from one another these past few years. Shortly you shall say a few words that will take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same. 
 For after today you shall say to the world - This is my husband. This is my wife.
If any person present knows of any legal reason why this marriage should not take place, now is the time for that person to speak.
And I ask you both, in the presence of these witnesses, that if either of you know of any legal impediment to this marriage, you do now reveal the same.
Let the groom repeat after me: I solemnly declare that I do not know of any lawful impediment why I Adam may not be joined in matrimony to Jennie.
Let the bride repeat after me: I solemnly declare that I do not know of any lawful impediment why I Jennie may not be joined in matrimony to Adam.
There being no impediment declared or admitted, and having freely and deliberately chosen each other in this union, please face each other and join hands.
The vows you are making to each other today have no hidden meaning nor power within themselves. They simply express in words your continuing intention and commitment to each other. As you enter this marriage you are embarking on an exciting adventure. Although adventures almost always encounter problems and pressures, if you face them together you can create new opportunities and strengths.
Adam and Jennie, do you promise to help each other to develop your hearts and minds and to have confidence in one another's abilities?  We do.
Do you promise to support and care for one another through life's challenges and celebrations?  We do.
Do you promise to share all that life brings you together as partners?  We do.
Will the groom please repeat after me: I call on those present to witness that I Adam take Jennie to be my lawful wedded wife. 
Will the bride please repeat after me: I call on those present to witness that I Jennie take Adam to be my lawful wedded husband.
For the next few minutes, Adam and Jennie invite all of you to pass the rings between one another, pausing to say a prayer, a blessing, a best wish for the future, or simply to warm them with your love, before passing them along. While you are doing this, Adam and Jennie will sign the documents that legally affirm their marriage. 
At this time, we ask if those holding the rings could please bring them forward.
Adam, please repeat after me: With this ring, I seal my promise to be your faithful and loving husband. I give you this ring as a symbol of our love.
Jennie, please repeat after me: With this ring, I seal my promise to be your faithful and loving wife. I give you this ring as a symbol of our love.
Adam and Jennie, you have sought and accepted each other joyously. May all that life brings to you strengthen the bond you have declared today. May your loved ones, those present and those unable to be present, continue to rejoice in the warmth of the love that has united you. May you be comfort and joy, counsel and strength to each other. And may the home you will build shed its peace on you and all who seek its shelter. I am delighted to pronounce you husband and wife.
Adam, you may kiss the bride!

No comments: