Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Wedding Etiquette Says....


 A good host always has an open bar. {Begin rant:} Well, tough luck wedding etiquette, I think that's a load of you-know-what. Most bar service companies offer either an open bar, a cash bar or a toonie bar (where guests pay $2 per drink and you foot the bill for the rest). Quite frankly, I'm not willing to pay for people to get overly drunk, messy and annoying at my wedding so an open bar, or toonie bar are out of the question. This is a celebration and I do want my guests to have a good time; however, I believe this can be done with limited or no alcohol. If a particular guest feels alcohol is needed for them to enjoy themselves, then by all means they can foot the bill for their thirst quenching habit.

This is only one of the many services or traditions that wedding etiquette attempts to demand from couples getting married. Don't let wedding etiquette make you feel guilty for a decision that is ultimately personal. It is your wedding and your choice! {End rant!}

2 comments:

JAR said...

yay for cheap weddings and no booze! :D I'm also plannging a wedding on a budget and alcohol was the first thing to go :) I totally agree that guests can have a good time with limited or no alcohol, two close frinds of mine opted for this and it was SO nice :)

Plus, no mess! :D I serve at a banquet place and we do wedding receptions all the time...drunk guests spill on everything including themselves, the dance floor, the table and even the newlyweds!

Yay for cheap weddings and no mess!

:)

Jennie said...

I would love to have no bar at all, but we are actually going with the cash bar. Then drinks are available for those guests that absolutely require them to have a good time, but we don't have to pay for it! There will still be some mess unfortunately, but hopefully not too much considering it's not an open bar!